If your skin feels dry or tight it could be a sign of dehydration. There are a few simple tips that can help you to stay hydrated, on the inside and outside!
How does skin stay hydrated?
The stratum corneum (outermost layer of our skin) is made up of cells called corneocytes. These dead cells are continually being shed, replaced by new ones from the layers below. The cells are stacked to form a wall, which helps to retain moisture, keeping your skin hydrated.
Why does skin become dehydrated?
If the cells lose too much water and aren’t able to lock in moisture, they start to become shriveled, leading to dehydrated skin. Skin can become dull in appearance and fine lines become more pronounced.
6 tips to keep your skin hydrated
- Drink plenty of water - Our bodies are 60% water and every day we lose water, mostly through urine and sweat. Opinions can vary on the daily intake, but generally most health experts will recommend eight 250ml glasses of water a day.
- Eat foods rich in water – While it’s important to drink fluids, we also get a lot of water from our food. Eat a good selection of fruit and vegetables with each meal for hydration, vitamins and minerals.
- Take shorter showers with lukewarm water - Taking very hot showers can cause the skin to become inflamed and can strip the skin of its natural moisture barrier, leading to dryness.
- Use gentle, water-based skincare products – If your skin is becoming dehydrated, water-based products will penetrate through the layers, giving your skin a boost of hydration. ishga products contain our pure Hebridean spring water and/or Hebridean sea salt water, with a mineral-rich content, alongside a host of other high-quality active ingredients and essential oils.
- Exfoliate regularly – Regular exfoliating will help to remove dead skin cells and improve dry patches. However, it’s important not to exfoliate too much! This can affect the skin barrier and disrupt the natural moisture balance. For those with normal/dry skin, 2-3 times a week is plenty, and if you have sensitive skin, reduce this to once a week in your skincare routine.
- Moisturise – Our skin naturally loses moisture throughout the day, especially during the summer months when it’s hotter. To get an extra hydration boost while you sleep you can apply ishga Nourishing Face Oil followed by Anti-oxidant Marine Cream.